Sunday, February 22, 2009

Thoughts on The Oscars

I watched basically all of the Oscars last night. I was really focused on two categories. Best Supporting Actor and Best Actor. I also kept an eye on Best Picture, as that is the most important category of the night.

First, I, as well as most people who saw The Dark Knight, thought Heath Ledger deserved an Oscar for his amazing performance as the joker. Since the minute I stepped out of the studio back in July I was waiting for the moment that his family could step on the stage and accept the award for their sons' amazing work. Ledger completely revamped the character and in my opinion has left a mark on the character that will be remembered for all time. He is now the standard that future Jokers, Batman villains, and supervillains will have to live up to in the rest of the history of cinema. I'm extremely glad that the Academy decided to make the right move here and give the actor his last respects, so to speak.

Also, I was pulling for Mickey Rourke and his performance as Randy the Ram in The Wrestler. I thought his "comeback" performance was definitely deserving of an Oscar. The Oscar went to Sean Penn for his portrayal of gay politician, Harvey Milk. I thought that Penn's performance was amazing, but I thought Rourke did a better job on his character. Also, I would have liked to see Frank Langella win, if not Rourke, for his portrayal of Richard Nixon in Frost/Nixon.

I would have liked to see a win for Frost/Nixon in the best picture category, but as the night went on, it was quite obvious that Slumdog Millionaire was the big winner. I haven't seen it yet, but it seems to be great as it won best picture, best original song, and best director. It is definitely worth a watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment